Saturday, December 14, 2013

Helplessness of the Third Kind

I wrote this piece some 2 years back. Don’t remember the mood I was in.
Helplessness is described by Oxford dictionary as, a condition in which a person suffers from a sense of powerlessness, arising from a traumatic event or persistent failure to succeed. Let us concentrate on the two words powerlessness and failure. Was the failure because of the powerlessness or did powerlessness set in due to failure?
The thing that make us sad, if keeps on repeating, turn us immune. Living under constant uncertainty and doubt tends to make us powerless. It leads us to question everything in life. The confidence goes for a toss. Helplessness arises out of the persistent fear of failure in avenues which are out of our hands. When we can’t decide outcome of things that are not under our control, we are left with nothing but punching the walls.
I always believed and followed the funda of pre-empting such situations. I used to divert myself much before. Coz once I get sucked into it, I will feel powerless and nothing I do will make it better. I have always taken pride in my pre-judging a situation and ability to take preventive measures.
However you can bask in self-glory only so much. I used to chastise my friends for not pre-empting and for letting themselves sucked into. I never understood why they did what they did. I recently understood and how! They let themselves knowingly into a no-win situation backed up by their confidence and sheer hope. Confidence that no matter what, they will find a way and Hope that everything will turn out to be fine.
To an extent hope is good, but beyond a certain limit, it is nothing but foolishness and will destroy you eventually. Better to take things head on, find a solution or move away. Just because you committed yourself into something does not mean you have to stick by it, even if it’s killing you. Being practical is not everyone’s cup of tea but sometimes it’s exactly what is required.

No comments: