Saturday, June 20, 2015

Chinese Dog eaters: Hypocrites rest of the world!

Disclaimer: I don’t eat non-veg. But I don’t keep an opinion on those who eat.

Innocent!
I was watching episodes of Master Chef Australia/America where animals, all chopped up and being referred to as protein, were being used to display culinary skills. From lamb to chicken to goat to cow to duck to rabbit, all alike. 

Then I read about Western revolution to ban Yulin dog eating festival in China. Something  didn't seem to add up. How eating one animal is divine while eating other one is devilish.

Well, the only reason I came up with is, it’s an insane world we live in. Top 10 countries according to meat consumption in lbs/person/year are listed as below (2005)

S No.
Country
lbs/person/year
1
Luxembourg
315
2
Hong Kong
296
3
United States
279
4
Australia
259
5
Austria
240
6
Spain
238
7
Cyprus
230
8
New Zealand
229
9
Denmark
222
10
Ireland
222

Am I not innocent?
Surprisingly these are among the countries that are most vocal against the Yulin festival. It’s not that these are the only countries. A lot of Chinese people are also against this custom.

Am I not innocent?
My only argument is, be a Gandhi before you preach. Absolve yourself of sins before calling the other person a murderer. I really don’t understand the hypocrisy. I don’t understand the difference. 

I agree that people who steal other people’s pets should be prosecuted. But more than that is just one-upmanship. It’s like You are more cruel than I am, You are bigger thug than me.

 Up to some point I can understand vegetarians protesting against meat eaters. Though I again leave it to personal choice. But one flesh eater pointing finger at other flesh eater is beyond my understanding.

I know a lot of people will backlash against my view. To those people I just want to say one thing. I couldn't care less about hypocrites. 

No comments: