Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Phishing call: True Story

Friends, I got the below call yesterday.
Phone: Am I talking to Arpit Garg? a feminine voice enquired.
Me: Yes, speaking.
Phone: Sir, This is Rachna calling from ICICI bank. Your credit card is being replaced by a new Red Alert Credit Card, which preempts fraudulent transactions. I need to verify your existing card details to issue the new card.
Me: Is there any charge involved? I asked cautiously.
Phone: No Sir. This is card is absolutely free with no annual charges.
Me: No onetime or hidden charges? I asked again, having burnt my fingers a few times before.
Phone: No Sir. This is a free replacement. Can you tell me your date of birth for verification?
Me: ******
Phone: Thanks Sir. Can you confirm the expiry date of the card?
It started sounding fishy. No one from the bank has ever asked me for expiry date for verification.
Me: Can you please tell me the last four digits if my credit card. I want to check if you are from the bank after all.
Phone: Arpit Sir, I can’t tell you this till I verify your details. Please confirm me the expiry date of your card.
Me: **** I was reeled in for a min.
Phone: Thanks Sir. Can you confirm the issue date?
That did it for me.
Me: Sorry I am not carrying the card today.
Phone: Try and remember Sir. The new card can’t be issued without this verification.
Me: Sorry, I don’t recall the issue date.
Phone: Okay, when can I call you then?
Me: Call me tomorrow, same time. I hung up.
I called the bank in a hurry, afraid to have revealed the DOB and Expiry date of the card. The lady was quite convincing, I was deceived.
ICICI Bank: Hello Sir, This is Rajesh from ICICI bank, your wealth management officer. Thank you for calling from your registered mobile number. How can I help you?
Post initial verification. I told him the whole story.
ICICI Bank: Sir, it’s good that you didn’t divulge any details. We don’t have any such product.
As a precaution I got my card blocked. The next day, I got the call at the designated time. I was ready.
Phone: Hello Arpit sir, this is Rachna from ICICI bank. We talked yesterday. I need to verify your card details. Hope you are carrying your card today.
Me: Lady, I called ICICI bank and I know that you are a fraud. Where are you calling from?
“Beep…beep…beep”, she hung up.
I sent a mail to antiphising@icicibank.com reporting the incident and mentioning the two mobile numbers I got the call from. Incidentally one of them showed up as ICICI Bank on TrueCaller. Such was the attention to detail.
Beware from such calls and don’t reveal your details under any circumstance.
Update Sep 10: I have been receiving similar calls continuously from different numbers from Delhi claiming to be from ICICI Delhi office. Have forwarded details to ICICI bank. They have informed me that they are investigating it and also urged me to get in touch with Cyber Crime Police Cell. I told them I don’t have luxury of this much time. 

No comments: