Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Redemption

I shook hands with and hugged a number of people today. I was in my hometown for holidays and fortunately it coincided with one of my schoolmates wedding. We being family friends were invited to the marriage.
Just a bit of background. I wasn’t all too social guy at school. Didn’t even know the names of many from my class. I can laugh at it today but I was a suck-up to the teachers and evidently not very popular among fellow students. It has been 7 long years since I passed out of school and haven’t had time to catch up with any of my mates barring a few close ones.
Normally I hesitate going up to someone, shaking hands and initiating a talk. The same reason why I don’t consider myself an MBA material. Anyways, today was a day to set things right. I entered the arena just as theBaraat was entering. A bunch of people were dancing. I recognized one of them to be an old pal. I shook hands and hugged. It was not exactly nostalgic but discovering. More so for a person like me, who never took a chance to socialize with people when had time.
Anyways, I met not less than two dozen old mates. Some married, some bachelors and others somewhere in between. I took the lead in going up to people with, “Saath mein padte the yaar, naam yaad nahin aa raha”. Not remembering was a lame excuse; I never really knew the names of many people in the first place. They were mere faces for me. But I was happy and guilt ridden at the same time when most of them replied, “Don’t worry we remember your name, Arpit”.

I stayed till late, chatting, relishing old times. Wish I could have chatted with you guys more. But it was a nice little start. Thank you all for remembering my name when I was so pathetic as to not remember your’s. And above all thanks to my friend whose marriage gave me a chance to meet old pals. Best wishes to him.

No comments: